Lately, we've been trying to wean ourselves off of coffee. Don't get us wrong, we love coffee but we hate the shakes and headaches we get after consuming it. So, on our quest for a substitute, we found matcha, a finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea. Traditionally, the Chinese and Japanese tea ceremony centered on the preparation, serving, and drinking of matcha as a hot tea and embodied a meditative spiritual style. However, in modern times, matcha has come to be used to flavor and dye foods such as mochi and soba noodles, green tea ice cream, matcha lattes (our fav), and a variety of Japanese confectionary.
Aside from it's delicious taste, matcha green tea has many health benefits. It's high in antioxidants which fight against the negative effects of UV radiation and prevents a number of life-threatening maladies. Matcha enhances calm as well as boosts our memory and concentration. In addition, matcha increases our energy levels and endurance, burns calories, and detoxifies the body, fortifying the immune system as well as improving cholesterol.
Now that you know a little bit more about our new go-to morning drink and it's benefits, we thought we'd share our favorite matcha green tea latte recipe. Make hot or cold, we love them both ways!
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup cold or hot milk (depends on what you like)
1. Spoon the matcha green tea powder and the sugar into a cup.
2. Add the warm water and mix with a spoon or with a whisk until it is a smooth dark green paste to ensure no lumps form.
3. Warm the milk in a small saucepan (or microwave for 45 seconds) and pour into the cup until nearly full. Use cold milk for an iced latte.
4. Use a whisk to mix the paste and milk together until smooth and light green in color.
5. If you so wish, you can add a few sprinkles of matcha green tea powder on the top for decoration. Or add ice for an extra cold iced latte.
Beach season is fast approaching with Memorial Day right around the corner. It's time to remove those bikinis, flip flops, and beach towels from hiding. Enjoy the start of the summer the right way with some fun new beach accessories.
Aside from our Stevie necklace, one of our favorite accessories this summer? A beach tote, of course! We don’t only use ours for outdoor activities but for everyday use in the summer. Check out some of our favorite picks under $100!
1. Indego Africa Cutout Beach Tote, $74.99
2. Mud Pie Rope & Jute Beach Tote, $38.00
3. Ondademar ZinniaTassel-Trim Woven Beach Tote Bag, $85.00
4. Steve Madden BSEASIDE, $78.00
5. O'Neill Joplin Tote, $50.99
6. Samudra Asymmetrical Tote Bag, $85.00
7. Workshop 28 'Mermaid Parking Only' Canvas Tote, $28.00
8. O'Neill Hot Springs Crochet Beach Tote, $32.14
Last week, we featured California Bay Area make-up artist and stylist, Kris Jung. This week, she shares an exclusive video tutorial with us on how to achieve "The Glossy Eyed" look. The secret to getting a gorgeous beauty look featuring gleaming eyelids starts now!
Glossy Eye Tutorial from kris jung on Vimeo.
Raised in the East Bay of California, Kris Jung had always practiced many artistic passions as a child. However, when the opportunity to become a model at the age of 17 arose, Jung became instantly hooked by the fashion world. Little did she know her love of creativity and background in fashion would someday collide, leading her to her career today as a make-up artist.
In her early years modeling, Kris met make-up artist Diane Catorc. After reconnecting at a shoot in 2015, Jung began to assist Diane on jobs. In her first year doing hair and make-up, she found herself working with many of the creatives she had worked with as a model. Jung also found herself gaining much experience, working with large companies like Pottery Barn and Walmart. Today, Kris is her own boss babe creating fresh new looks for clients like Twitter, Instagram, and Levi’s. In her spare time you can find her at home in Oakland (probably eating ramen), writing for her beachy shoegaze solo project Koneko Neko, or kicking back with her precious rescue bunny, Oatmeal.
From her obsession with tiny things to her favorite beauty must-haves, let's get to know more about this super talented beauty babe now!
My style in 3 words...vintage/kawaii/tomboy
My nicknames are...Bunny! My boyfriend also calls me Monkey, not sure why!
My drugstore must-have is…Any product by e.l.f! Specifically their smudge pot in Cruisin Chic. This color looks good on everyone. I use so many e.l.f products it's out of control. Their formulas are mostly sulfate, paraben, and cruelty free, and don't make me break out. Such an affordable and accessible line. I am always recommending their brushes and lip products to clients.
My last purchase was…Yerba Mate SPF 30 Mist by 100% Pure. I was going to the beach and needed to buy $40 organic sunscreen.
My top 3 make-up bag essentials are…Milk Sunshine Skin Tint with SPF 30, K-Palette Kuma Cover Control Concealer, and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer.
My beauty secret is…Having great skin. I use eye cream twice a day; before applying makeup and before going to bed. The skin around your eye is so thin, it really needs to be moisturized at all times to prevent fine lines. I take very serious care of my skin! I also apply a clay mask once a week, sometimes even twice a week, especially if I'm having a break out.
I smell like…Hair products! I'm an Oribe fiend. I also really love the smell of R+Co products, I swear by the dry shampoo paste. Kenra is also a favorite brand of mine, their products always smell yummy.
I keep in shape by…Shopping! I try to walk to the grocery store and to my other errands, if the weather permits. I just bought roller skates too, so I am hoping that I will have a '70s roller goddess tush before summer!
My de-stress trick is…Food delivery. Caviar or Eat24 cures my blues no matter what. I love ordering my favorite sushi, and eating it in bed while I Netflix. Yes, my laziness is on another level!
My secret talent is...I'm a pretty good cook! I love making my own ramen. I make everything from scratch except for the noodles!
My first celebrity crush was…Christian Bale in Newsies was everything for me and my sister!
The music artist who always gets me dancing is…Prince, of course!
My fashion icon is…Sally Fields as Gidget. I own all 3 seasons of Gidget on DVD. Every outfit she wears on that show was pure gold, and her bangs and mini '60s bouffant were always on point. Her character in the show is to be honest kind of bratty and annoying but everything she wears, I wish I owned.
My guilty pleasure is…Watching RRcherrypie videos on YouTube. It's not really a guilty pleasure, as much as just a bizarre fascination. If you don't know what any of this means, google it! I have a weird fascination with small things.
Right now, I’m obsessed with…Cookies! I like to make my own, but I recently discovered this amazing vegan birthday cake flavor dough called 'Just Cookie Dough.' It has little rainbow sprinkles and you can eat it raw since it's vegan.
My favorite website is…Kollection K. I could browse through their new product page forever. I find all the collaborations with characters in conjunction with the Korean brands like APPIEU and Tony Moly so clever and adorable. Cute packaging is a necessity for me, and I'm a fiend for products!
My favorite TV show is…It's Always Sunny.. but also Rupaul's Drag Race because, duh.
When I have some free time, I…Try to work on all my creative endeavors. I play guitar and sing in a shoegaze solo project called Koneko Neko. Making jewelry, tapestries, and really anything I can decorate my apartment or myself in.
For breakfast...I always have some kind of egg dish. I make some world class baked eggs. A little bit of seasoned arugula greens on the bottom layer, 2 cracked eggs baked on a low heat for 20 minutes, and cheese on top!
My favorite restaurant is…Right now Blind Tiger in Oakland.
My ultimate travel destination is…Korea! The land of beauty and skin care. I've been to Japan once and cherished every minute of it and definitely plan to go back. But, first I need to go to Seoul!
In my career, I am most proud of…Making things happen by my own volition. In 2015, I was struggling with a slow season of (going on 8 years of) modeling. I always wanted to do makeup but was waiting for my time with modeling to slow down. I tried to model and do makeup but I realized I was just kind of wasting my time and energy modeling. I started to assist my favorite makeup artists who became my mentors and building my website and portfolio with test shoots. I owe a lot of my learning experience as a MUA to them. Since breaking out of my role of talent, I have really enjoyed taking my experience in the industry in the truly rewarding and creative realm of it. I have accomplished a lot in a short amount of time and I am very proud of myself for becoming my own lady boss!
The best advice I’ve ever received is…Fake it till you make it babe! I used to feel very self conscious about being the youngest looking person in the crew on a set, and that no one would take me seriously. I have put a lot of dedication into my 9 years in the industry and I've just learned to carry myself and earn people's respect with professionalism.
As a make-up artist, I’ve learned…To appreciate the industry. I have the best job in the world. I used to be jaded on the ways of the industry as a model, but I feel like I've learned to practice freelance karma and it's worked to my advantage.
My goal in life is…To never stop having goals! To be the happiest person I can, and never feel complacent.
Coloring books are the latest trend and unlike many other fads, this one is actually good for you. Coloring is not only a stress-free activity but it allows your mind to get the rest it needs. Aside from it's therapeutic abilities, coloring has many other benefits. Check out some reasons we hope will convince you to take up some crayons or colored pencils and get to work!
1. Coloring Helps De-Stress: People who color experience more calmness and witness less stress.
2. Coloring Activates Both Parts of the Cerebral Hemisphere: The action of coloring uses both logic and creativity. We use logic to pick up a color for a specific shape or color and we use creativity to mix and match them.
3. Coloring Takes Us Back to Childhood: Getting back to happy memories helps one relax, feel optimistic, and energetic for the future.
4. Coloring is Like Meditation: Meditation is the art of doing nothing and de-concentrating which helps us relax. Coloring can help induce the same meditative state.
5. Coloring Helps Reduce Anxiety: The artistic expression we receive from coloring helps us go deeper into a relaxed state making other forms of therapy more effective.
6. Coloring Helps You Re-Discover Yourself: Coloring can help us get out of dull or stressful routines, making us feel more comfortable and relaxed at the end of a long day.
7. Coloring Helps Spark Creativity: Those who color regularly find that they become great at picking colors for their clothes, interiors, etc. Coloring helps people become more creative in their jobs, analytical thinking, and several other aspects of work as well as play.
8. Coloring Helps Us Connect With Our Inner Child: When we connect with our inner child, we can break our negative thinking patterns as an adult. And when we love ourselves more unconditionally, we become a self-confident, radiant person who is ready to take on the world without fear.
Our favorite coloring books? Very Bradley's Paisley and Floral Patterns Coloring Books, $15.00 each.
It's spring so we're gearing up for a whole lot of celebrations; weddings, Mother's Day, bridal showers, birthdays and housewarmings. With all these celebrations come gifts and with gifts, come cute packing. So on our quest to find fun, new, ways to wrap gifts, we found this adorable cherry paper DIY from Katelyn Wood, stationary designer and blogger behind Love. Luck. Kiss & Cake. After all, we can't resist a good pom-pom!
Here's what you need:
- Pink paper or wrapping paper
- Thin black marker or pen
- Mint green washi tape (you can also use white washi tape colored green with a marker)
- Mini red pom-poms
- Household scissors
- Hot glue gun
1. Wrap your gift in the paper before creating this fun design. You don't want the cherries to fall at awkward places.
2. Take a thin black marker and draw spaced-out stems where you'd like your cherries to be.
3. Cut small leaf shapes out of the mint green tape and adhere to the top of the stems you have drawn.
4. Using a glue gun, stick the red pom-poms to your package.
5. Give your cherry-wrapped gift to someone special!
Here at Kiss & Wear, we're constantly looking for the latest fashion and beauty trends. So when we wanted a fresh new manicure idea for the spring, we turned to Sally Hansen Global Color Ambassador, Madeline Poole. Her suggestion? Bright stripes, a rainbow bright manicure with big impact. According to Madeline, "tons of bright colors revived the'80s this spring 2017 season. There was no shortage of saturation. So Madeline followed suit with a manicure to match this runway trend.
Get Madeline's look by following her step by step guide to achieving this mani right at home below!
Here's what you need:
- 2 bright nail colors, we love the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel shades, $4.99-$9.99
- A top coat, we like the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Top Coat, $9.99
- A toothpick
1. Apply two thin coats of your nail polish of choice and allow to dry. (We used Tipsy Gipsy by Sally Hansen)
2. Use a toothpick to paint one fine stripe on each nail with a contrasting color. (We used Fish-Teal Braid by Sally Hansen)
3. Apply a top coat of your choice to seal your manicure.
What do you get when you take a whole lotta tassel and classic style? Lisi Lerch jewelry, of course!
A lover of fashion and antique jewelry, Lisi first started her company in the spring of 2001. While her new husband was getting an MBA, she worked full-time at the Cornell recruiting office and designed affordable women’s Kentucky derby hats. Although she loved making hats, Lisi decided to dabble in jewelry making and became hooked instantly.
While her hat business grew, so did her family. While pregnant with her first child, Lisi and her husband moved to Philadelphia. Not only did her company prove to be a success there, she was able to expand her line of hats to include winter ones as well. From New York to Virginia, Lisi would participate in trunk shows selling her hats from store to store.
With her hats becoming a hassle to travel with, Lisi decided to shift gears and pursue her true passion for jewelry design. To her surprise, her collection was well received. So, after her third child was born, Lisi started showing her line at AmericasMart in Atlanta. In time, her jewelry line grew into the sought after collection you see today of tassel earrings, colorful necklaces, and eye-catching cardigans.
Since we absolutely love all of Lisi’s accessories and are inspired by her hard work, we thought it’d be fun to get to know a little bit more about this jewelry designer who credits the creative direction of her line to her grandmother’s exquisite collection of jewels. Find out where she dines and more now!
My style in 3 words...Classic, fun, and happy
My nicknames are...Lis, Mommy
My drugstore must-have is...Lip gloss, antibacterial, and gum
My last purchase was...A fabulous bamboo lamp from the market
My top 3 make-up bag essentials are...lip gloss, mascara, and bronzer
My beauty secret is...A good lip gloss, mascara, and bronzer
I smell like...CHANEL N°5 Parfum or gardenias
I keep in shape by...Working out with my awesome trainer Ray every morning
My de-stress trick is...Chardonnay and a bubble bath
My secret talent is...Freakishly knowing everybody’s birthday and the all the state capitals
My first celebrity crush was...The Six Million Dollar Man Lee Majors
The music artist who always gets me dancing is...Michael Jackson or Justin Timberlake
My fashion icon is...Jackie O
My guilty pleasure is...Sunbathing
Right now, I’m obsessed with...My fluffy adorable dog, Boomer
My favorite website is...LisiLerch.com
My favorite TV show is...This Is Us, The Affair, and The Crown
When I have some free time, I...Play tennis
For breakfast, I always have...a protein shake on the fly
My favorite restaurant is...Atlanta Grill in Atlanta, GA
My ultimate travel destination is...Any 5 star Gilligan’s Island
In my career, I am most proud of...Being successful while continuing to be ladylike & kind.
The best advice I’ve ever received is...Just do it!
As a jewelry designer, I’ve learned...To accept competition with open arms!!
My goal in life is...To be happy
Step up your wardrobe this spring season with these fun and colorful pom-pom pieces. From scarves to hats and jewelry, pom-poms, a hyphenated derivative of the idiomatic french word for “ball of flair,” have been popping up all over our favorite accessories. Whether you sport a more boho look or are into preppy threads, these furry bobbles are one trend we believe everyone will love.
1. Pom-Pom Scarf, 24.00
2. Pom-Pom Bracelet, $7.00
3. Ettika Ikat-Print Pom-Pom Choker, $45.00
4. Tropical Pom Tech Crossbody, $18.00
5. M&S Collection Pom-Pom Fedora Hat, $27.00
6. Bauble Bar Melina Hoops, $34.00
7. Paperchase Llamas Clipboard and Pad, $9.50
We all want clear skin but naturally glowing skin? Even better. Sure, we know the basics of skin care, right? Use sunscreen, drink lots of water, and exercise. If all else fails, fake it with a good BB cream and blush. The truth is, skin that glows can be easy to achieve. Check out a few of favorite beauty secrets that will keep your skin looking vibrant all year long.
1. Eat a healthy diet. Healthy proteins and nutritious fruits and veggies go a long way. Omega 3, found in fish oil and walnuts are extremely beneficial to your skin. Vitamin C helps existing pimples heal faster so citrus fruits, green tea, and cucumbers are your best friend. Try to eat less sugar and salt which can leave you looking bloated.
2. Take vitamins. Vitamins intended for pregnant women are especially beneficial to your skin.
3. Prevent acne before it starts. Simple things like changing your pillowcase every 3-5 days, keeping your hands off your face, tying your hair back when you sleep, and some beauty rest make a big difference.
4. Use your night cream in the morning. Because night creams are typically more hydrating than daytime lotions, use one in the morning before applying sunblock for an extra dose of moisture.
5. Stick to gentle cleansers. Use a non-soap product like Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser morning and night to wash away grime without irritating skin.
6. Decrease your shower time. Shortening your tub time and cooling the temperature of the water will do wonders for your body. Hot showers strip your skin of its natural oils, leaving it patchy and dry.