Searching for the perfect gift can sometimes be difficult for the girl who has everything. So why not surprise her with something she didn't know she even wanted like a fun neon parrot led lamp for her apartment or a leopard clutch that'll match every outfit? Whether she's a homebody who enjoys coffee or a social butterfly who's out each night, we've your perfect gift covered!
1. A leopard print pouch she'll take everywhere. Sole Society Dolce Leopard Haircalf Pouch, $69.95
2. Something to rock during the holidays that's both festive and cute. BAN.DO Champagne Is My Game Ringer Tee, $38
3. Cold winter nights require a warm scarf both cozy and stylish. Mango Striped Faux Fur Scarf, $70
4. Keep her cell phone protected with a chic case. Kiss & Wear Hudson Iphone Case, $35
5. A stylish polaroid camera to help freeze memories in style. Polaroid Snap Instant Digital Camera, $100
6. A pair of cute sunnies perfect for brunchin.'Prive Revaux Madame Sunglasses, $29.95
7. Something neon to help brighten up her apartment. Sunnylife Toucan Neon Light, $26
8. A mug that says it all. Easy Tiger Coffee Snob Mug, $15
9. A pair of stud earrings that affirm her love of food. Kiss & Wear West 4th Hamburger and Fries Stud Earrings, $10
When shopping for a verified beauty lover, not just any basic beauty product will do. So what to get the beauty obsessed pal in your life who seemingly has it all (at least when it comes to make up and skincare)? From swoon-worthy skincare to must-have gift sets, we've rounded up some of our top favorite beauty gifts to give!
1. The ultimate eye shadow and blush palette. Smashbox Drawn In. Decked Out. Shadow + Contour + Blush Palette, $42
2. Scents to keep her smelling great all year round. Tocca Eau De Parfum Viaggio Travel Fragrance Set, $45
3. Nail polish to compliment every season. Butter London Gems 6 Pc Trend Lacquer Collection, $24
4. Colorful eyeliner hues to give her eyes that extra sparkle. Cargo Limited Edition Swimmables Eye Pencil Kit, $25
5. Her new favorite set of make up brushes. 100% Pure Luxe Brush Set, $125
6. A burst of beauty in a super sweet set that purifies and moisturizes her skin. Foreo x Tony Moly Berry Best Friends Set, $39
7. A one-stop-shop to gorgeous, hydrated, glowing skin. Snow Fox Skincare, $30-$55
8. Keep her organized in style. Soho Blue Colorblock Medium Makeup Organizer Box, $15
9. The ultimate luxe lip set. NARSissist Velvet Lip Glide Set, $45
He loves you for more than your gift-giving skills, but these picks will remind him that reading his mind is one of your hidden talents. From a delicious tasting whiskey to a speaker he can bring almost anywhere, these gifts are guaranteed to bring a smile to your boyfriend's face.
1. Keep his everyday essentials in check. Topo Designs Rover 16L Backpack, $139
2. Sometimes he needs a little help finding his keys. Keysmart Keychain, $20
3. Date nights just got a little more stylish. J. Fold Airwave Slimfold Wallet, $98
4. The perfect compliment to cold winter nights in. Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, $37
5. Comfort is key after a hard day's work. Minnetonka Casey Slipper, $42.95
6. Give his tie, and wardrobe, an upgrade. Ox And Bull Trading Co. Tennis Racket Tie Clip, $40
7. Create your own private dance party. Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker, $100
8. The perfect hint for a couple's getaway. Nisolo Dopp Kit in Waxed Canvas, $58
9. Make sure he stays well-groomed. Aesop The Intrepid Gent Grooming Kit, $92
Don't know what to get your partner in crime this holiday season? Don't fret! From a glitzy workout bottle to cozy socks, we've got some goodies that will score you some major BFF points. 'Tis the season to gift your go to gal pal something she'll actually love, besides you, of course!
1. Make those gym dates more fun with something sparkly. Kate Spade Glitter Glass Water Bottle, $30
2. Get one of these masks for each of you and have the best girls night in ever. Dr. Jart+ Tarot Face Masks (set of 7), $37
3. Plan the ultimate girls only vacay together. Ban.Do Available For Weekends Passport Case, $24
4. Keep her apartment smelling fresh. Boy Smells Kush Candle, $30
5. Because there's no one else you'd rather share a bottle of wine with. Mix No. 6 Send Wine Slipper Socks, $9.95
6. Veg out with some new recipes. Dining In: Highly Cookable Recipes Cookbook, $18
7. Wireless headphones are great, but purple ones are even better. Urban Ears Wireless Headphones, $99
8. Help her keep her organized. Jonathan Adler Muse Valet Eyes Tray, $68
9. Get one for you and one for her as a token of your friendship. Kiss & Wear Brooklyn Pendant Necklace, $68
There's no doubt that the fashion industry is changing. Fast fashion has become the norm leading to an increase in pollution, excess waste, and more consumption than ever. In fact, Americans today buy twice as much clothing as they did 20 years ago. In addition, fast fashion clothing is poorly constructed - usually made with cheap material and labor - allowing clothing to fall apart quickly which leads to more consumption and waste. A vicious cycle, there is a way to make a difference. By learning how to buy better and by building a more ethical wardrobe, you can not only slowly help the planet but save yourself a lot of money too. Check out some of our tips on how you can be a more ethical consumer now!
1. Invest In Quality Clothes
When something is on sale or affordable, it's easy to achieve instant gratification by purchasing the item. However, little thought is given to how long the item will last, when it will go out of style, or if you'll even wear it. The key is to think long-term by purchasing fewer high-quality items that will endure time since wear and trends tend to shift.
Try this: Next time you fall in love with something at the store, ask yourself if you would wear it at least 30 times. If so, purchase it. If not, keep moving.
2. Rethink Washing Habits
25% of the carbon footprint of clothes comes from the way we care for them. Caring for clothing accurately decreases this problem. How do you take better care of your clothes? Wash them less, wash them at lower temperatures, and only dry clean them when necessary. When we do all of the above, a garment's lifespan is extended by gently preserving fabrics.
Try this: Opt to air dry or steam clothing instead of washing them. When you do wash them, only wash full machine loads, taking labels into consideration.
3. Repair, Reuse Recycle
At this point, it may seem logical to throw clothing in the garbage. However, this is the exact reason more than 1 million tons of textiles are thrown away every year. Instead of tossing out clothing, opt to restore it. Patch holes, install new zippers, sew buttons, or customize it.
Try this: Next time you're ready to throw something out, evaluate whether or not it can be repaired. If so, keep in mind that there are a ton of workshops and online tutorials that can teach you some amazing ways to mend as revitalize your clothing.
4. Shop Less
Learn to shop smart which means buying what you love and need. This will not only ensure that everything you own is worn a lot but also matches quite well. And when you do spend a little more, make sure you purchase quality items that will last longer. So buying items you love, only when you need and that last a long time means you'll definitely be shopping much less often.
Try this: Monitor the amount of times you shop per year. By keeping track of how many times you shop and how much you spend, you'll become more mindful of the times you purchased as well as how much you spent on something unnecessary.
5. Buy Second Hand
Always buy second hand clothing when and if you can. Buying used clothing is probably the easiest and best way to be an ethical consumer. By extending the life of already produced clothing and not adding to the production of new items, you are being kind of the environment and to human kind.
Try this: Next time you want to shop, opt to go to a vintage or consignment store. Contrary to popular belief, these second hand stores do sell some beautifully made designer treasures at reasonable prices. In fact, I just scored a Gucci top at one for $5 in mint condition!
A passionate environmentalist and former yoga instructor, Melissa Chu founded activewear brand, RUMI X, in 2015 to provide a fashion forward solution to the global waste crisis. Before starting Rumi X, this San Francisco native graduated from the Art Institute of California in 2006 with a Bachelor of Science degree majoring in Business Marketing with a focus on fashion and retail. With an eye for design Melissa went on to work with fashion powerhouses BCBGMAXAZRIA Group, Tommy Hilfiger and LVMH Group.
The name Rumi stems from the inspirational 13th century Persian poet, scholar, and Sufi mystic whose words of wisdom have inspired for centuries.
“The RUMI X concept evolved from speaking to the yoga and wellness community”, explains Melissa. “It was clear to me that the apparel we wore was not contributing positively to our yoga experience”.
Committed to creating a line of apparel that both allowed its wearers to express their personality and better serve the environment, Chu insisted on using eco-friendly materials only. The result? Breathable, flattering and vibrant sports wear and everyday apparel, comprised from recycled plastic bottles and coffee grounds. “Trash is a growing problem, so finding uses for non-biodegradable materials like plastic is a must. Plastic, once cleaned, shredded, melted and stripped into thread, is indistinguishable from polyester," adds Chu. Coffee grinds are embedded into a fiber used to create the fabric, which allows for maximum odor control, a dry-fast texture, UV protection and breathability.
Priced all under $100, the collection includes stylish leggings, supportive sports bras, tanks and long sleeve tops in multiple colorways and prints. The leggings feature slimming wide waistbands and gusset lining for extra comfort and exclusive breathable and super soft fabric. Conveniently, for women on the run, all leggings also have a barely visible pocket to keep cards, keys and loose change safe, and can be thrown right into the laundry without any leakage of color.
Let’s get to know Melissa a little bit more as she shares her beauty secrets, de-stress tricks and more!
My style in 3 words...Color, comfort, casual
My nicknames are...Lissy, Snoopy and “Yeejai” which means “Little auntie” in Chinese (my 3-year old niece calls me that)
My drugstore must-have is…Contact lens solution, I know it’s super boring!
My last purchase was…Sonic care toothbrush
My top 3 make-up bag essentials are…Kenebo KATE Eyebrow Pencil, Fresh Sugar Lip Balm in Berry, RMS Lip2Cheek in Smile
My beauty secret is…Gel facial sheet masks, I discovered them in Asia. I travel often and my skin gets dehydrated from flying in planes. These gel based sheet masks are translucent and jelly-like. They work just like the paper sheet masks that are all the rage in K-beauty, but deliver so much moisture! I swear by it to keep my skin hydrated and looking fresh even when I’m exhausted.
I smell like…Frankincense and lavender, I love mixing pungent essential oils
I keep in shape by…YogaGlo at home (my favorite classes are Jo Tastula and Jason Crandell’s), pilates, kickboxing
My de-stress trick is…Getting outdoors and long hikes with my German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix pup, Kobe
My first celebrity crush was…John Francis Daley from Freaks and Geeks
My guilty pleasure is…Cheetos puffs
Right now, I’m obsessed with…Kayla Itsines Recipes Guide E-book, they are so tasty and light, perfect for quick and healthy meals in the summertime
When I have some free time, I…Read up on spirituality and self-healing, I’m current reading Deepak Chopra’s book, Super Brain
For breakfast, I always have…Egg whites, tomato and kale scramble with a side of avocado
My favorite restaurant is…I have a few different ones, my favorite place in Hong Kong is The Optimist. In California, I love Vietnamese Pho and Taquerias in the Mission. In New York I love Joseph Leonard.
My ultimate travel destination is…Bali, it’s a magical place and my happy place
In my career, I am most proud of…Starting a company and seeing it grow, shaping RUMI X as it stands today. It amazes me each and every day to see how far we’ve come and exciting to see what’s ahead.
The best advice I’ve ever received is…To give as well receive. It sounds so simple but I’ve always had a challenging time with receiving, I was always the giver. I’ve learned you must be willing to receive to allow someone else to give. It’s the flow of energy in the universe!
My goal in life is…To continuing growing in my path of spirituality, and to help others in becoming more mindful and conscious citizens
DIY Confetti Tray Posted on 30 Aug 11:30 , 0 comments
This summer, I've been entertaining a lot. And as you know, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for confetti themed DIYs like the Confetti Dipped Champagne Bottles. So once I found this Confetti Tray DIY from Delineate Your Dwelling, I knew I had to try it. The perfect accessory for any summer party, this tray is guaranteed to brighten up your decor. Use for food or drinks while entertaining and for storage when not. After all, these stylish trays make playing hostess so much more fun!
Here's what you'll need:
- Mod podge dimensional magic glue
- Push-pop confetti
- Wooden tray
- White acrylic paint and brush
- Mod podge
1. Apply a generous layer of regular mod podge to you wooden tray surface.
2. Pour your confetti! This was a fun step. I had two confetti push pops from a previous project, so I popped them open and filled my tray. I also added just a little bit of gold glitter because brightly colored confetti clearly was not enough bling for this project.
3. Once the tray was full of confetti, using my hands, I patted/smashed down the confetti so that most of it stuck to the mod podge bottom.
4. Open your mod podge dimensional magic glue and slowly fill up the tray. Note, do not shake before using as this will cause air bubbles in the glue. I ended up using two bottles of the mod podge glue to cover all my confetti.
Note: The glue changed the color of the papers but once it all dried the original colors came right back! Also, the glue comes out a cloudy white color but dries clear.
5. Set your tray on a level spot and allow it to dry for 24 hours.
Relax. You deserve it! It's good for you and it relieves stress. Although stress is a natural and normal part of life, there are ways to reduce it. And if you're thinking of a day at the spa or a weekend away, those work! However, I've compiled a list of other ways to reduce stress that work starting today.
Studies show that a few minutes of mediation each day reduces anxiety. Each morning, before I get up, I spend 5 minutes mediating. I simply close my eyes and focus my attention on a positive mantra such as "I am blessed" or "I feel at peace." I then place one hand on my belly, the other on my heart and sync my mantra with my breathes. I let all negative thoughts float away on clouds.
2. Be Grateful
When you are thankful for what you have there is no reason to compare yourself to others which can cause stress. I suggest keeping a gratitude journal to help you remember all the things that are good in your life.
3. Reach Out
Sometimes all we need are our friends and family. In fact, your social network is one of your best tools for handling stress. Talking face to face or sharing what's going on via telephone can give you a fresh perspective on whatever is stressing you out.
4. Listen to Music
Research shows that listening to soothing music can lower blood pressure, heart rate and anxiety. Try creating a list of calming songs or nature sounds to allow your mind to focus on the different melodies, singers, or instruments in each piece. My favorite way to blow off steam with music? Singing at the top of my lungs, of course!
Place a warm heat wrap around your neck and shoulders for 10 minutes. Close your eyes and relax your face, neck, upper chest, and back muscles. If you prefer to take a hot shower, that works too!
6. Laugh Out Loud
A good laugh lowers cortisol, your body's stress hormone, and boosts brain chemicals called endorphins which liven up your mood. Lighten up your mood by watching your favorite comedy movie or hanging out with a friend who makes you laugh.
7. Stay Active
No need to run a marathon, sometimes all we need to do is get moving. All forms of exercise, including yoga, can ease depression by helping the brain release feel-good chemicals, a.k.a. endorphins. A quick walk around the block or stretching will do!
8. Be Present
Slow down and take a few minutes to focus on what is happening in the moment. Notice how the air feels on your face or how each bite of food tastes. When you focus on your senses, you should feel less tense.
Never have that "I have nothing to wear" moment again! Instead of filling up your closet with trendy pieces, focus first on the fashion basics- the pieces that create the foundation for your year-round style. Thanks to the perfect white tee, comfortable flats, chic pair of sunglasses, and these seven other wardrobe essentials, day-to-day dressing will be infinitely easier!
1. Classic Blazer - $34.99 by H&M
A tailored blazer is a statement piece that's ok to splurge on; it's feminine and looks great on all body types!
2. Tortoise Shell Sunglasses - $16.99 by Mossimo
When you find of pair of sunglasses that make you look as good as you feel, the likelihood of you forgetting them at brunch decreases significantly.
3. Structured Satchel Bag - $39.50 by Reed
From make-up to snacks, this shoulder bag allows room for all of life's necessities.
4. White T-Shirt - $18.00 by Topshop
White tees become unwearable quickly, so skip the costly designer ones and buy a bunch of good-looking inexpensive ones instead.
5. Something Leopard - $29.95 by Sole Society
Even if you're just wearing a plain t-shirt and jeans, a printed accessory like leopard can brighten up your look.
6. Your Perfect Pair of Jeans - $130.00 by Madewell
Whether they're flared, skinny, bootcut, or cropped, every woman needs a pair of jeans that makes their butt look good. Talk about image booster!
7. Black Leather Pumps - $69.00 by Nine West
Classic and subtly sexy, nothing says "business" more than a pair of black leather pumps.
8. Little Black Dress - $75.00 by Patagonia
Every woman should invest in a little black dress, or LBD. Whether you prefer a unique or plain dress, remember that finding the right fit is always most important!
9. Ballet Flats - $100 by Sam Edelman
A classic pair of ballet flats go a long way. They're perfect for every season and add comfort as well as instant style to any outfit.
10. White Sneakers - $55.00 by Converse
Give your running shoes the boot with a pair of fashionable white sneakers. Altheisure is your new BFF!
This summer, I've been entertaining a lot. So on my quest to find new dessert recipes, I stumbled upon this Banana Cream Pie Parfait from What's Gaby Cooking. A childhood favorite of mine, banana cream pie has always been the perfect end to a delicious meal. Perfect for parties, last minute gatherings, and summer soirées, I had to try this banana recipe. Both tasty and easy to make, this recipe can also be made ahead of time leaving you more time at the party and less time in the kitchen. Try these delectable summer treats both you and your guests will love now!
For the Crust:
- 2 Cups vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1/8 Cup white sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
For the Vanilla Pudding:
- 2 Cups almond milk
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 Large egg yolks
- 1/4 Cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 Vanilla bean, seeds removed
For the Whipping Topping:
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup powdered sugar
- 2 Ripe bananas
For the Crust:
1. Place the vanilla wafers and sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to break the wafers up and then process for 1-2 minutes until the crackers are the same consistency as the sugar. Add the melted butter and pulse to combine so the crackers look just damp. Remove the mixture from the food processor and transfer to a baking sheet. Heat the oven to 375° F.
2.Bake the crumbles for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
For the Vanilla Pudding:
3. Bring vanilla almond milk and cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg yolk to the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth but very thick. While whisking constantly, gradually add the warm almond milk mixture to yolk mixture. Once the 2 mixtures are fully combined, return everything back to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until thick, about 2–3 minutes. Add the butter and vanilla and stir until the butter has melted.
4. Transfer everything to a medium bowl; press plastic wrap directly onto surface of pastry cream. Chill until set.
For the Whipped Cream:
5. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until medium-stiff peaks form. Cover and chill. ** If you’re in a pinch for time, grab a tub of Cool Whip. It makes for the most gorgeous dollop EVER! **
6. Arrange 8 small glasses on a clean surface. Layer in the pudding, whipped cream, sliced bananas and crumbled wafer mixture. Serve with a dollop extra whipped cream.